From Skeptic to Convert – ★★★★★
I recently went to Copenhagen for the Copenhagen City Marathon. Training wasn’t what it should have been as injury had disrupted my training. It was true also for Denise and Helen who were also running the marathon from my club.
At the Expo, I decided I wanted to try compression sleeves. It helped they were on special offer. Not fully sure of their benefit, Helen reassured me that compression socks work. I wasn’t sure if it’d be a placebo effect, or if there was some more science behind them.
I’m not an elite athlete, but after trying the Compressport Compression Calf Sleeves, I can safely say almost every runner would benefit from this product. From reading up on the science behind how they work, the compression sleeves are designed to improve your circulation in your veins, assisting its return during and after exercise in order to reduce the amount of toxins in your blood. By increasing the oxygenation of the blood returning to your calf muscles, lactic acid build-up is reduced, muscle fatigue is delayed and the risk of cramp and injury is reduced.
Having run a few marathons before, I knew where I’d meet the dreaded wall, that mountain of pain. I wan’t expecting that the calf sleeves would have a noticeable improvement, but they genuinely had. My calves didn’t feel like lead boots, they didn’t cramp they way I’m used to, and it allowed me to push on for longer.
While my experience on the day more down to a dodgy knee, post race recovery was again more prompt. The fabric in the sleeves helps by increasing blood flow, flushing out the toxins and reducing the risk of pesky DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) that can catch us all out at times!
While the sleeves were indeed amazing, I wouldn’t wear them continuously, or in each training session. To really get the benefit, I’d really only use them on race day.
The compression socks are also tailored to each runner based on the size of your calves, so be sure to measure correctly, or go to your local running shop to make sure you get the right ones.
What are Compressport R2 V2 Compression Calf Sleeves??
“New Compressport R2 V2 compression calf sleeves in which the latest and most modern technologies developed by Compressport have been applied. Their compressive material reduces the accumulation of toxins and accelerates the venous return, improving the oxygenation of the muscles.”
Compressport R2 V2 Compression Calf Sleeves are ideal for use during training, competitions and also in recovery phases. The Compressport compression calf sleeves use a fibre that dampens the shock waves generated when carrying out physical activity on hard ground. This fibre also reduces the vibration of muscle fibres, delaying the onset of muscle fatigue and limiting, for this same reason, the risk of injury. Protecting the calves with compression sleeves, aids a more efficient venous return from the feet to the heart and a better oxygenation of the muscles, facilitating recovery during physical effort. Do not use a washing machine or tumble dryer. Not for use throughout the night.
Some of the Key Features
- ULTRA SUPPORTIVE – the compressive nature of the fabric will combat muscle oscillations and provide stability whilst also reducing and absorbing vibrations to lower your risk of injury. The unique K-protect tab also provides vital protection to the knees without hindering movement.
- RECOVERY ENHANCING – the sleeves help to improve your blood circulation. By increasing the amount of oxygen reaching your muscles and reducing the levels of toxins in them, they will help you to recover more quickly.
- INJURY PREVENTATIVE – the sleeves help to prevent muscle tears, joint pain, contractures, micro-injuries and muscle fatigue
- TAILOR FIT – as they are sized according to your leg muscle size they offer compression where you need it most.
- THERMODYNAMIC – the guards will help to encourage circulation to the surface of the skin and can improve your thermo-regulation by 51%. Compressport’s unique woven fabric can ‘mirror-effect’ your skin to provide further temperature control.